Monday, September 12, 2005

Home again

Another wonderful weekend at the treehouse. Friday night Jim, Fred, Abby and I went to Mineola again for Clint's prime rib. I wish I could send you all the taste of that over the net it is realllllllllllllllly good. I think I've told you that as well as running this tavern/restaurant Clint is also an Elvis impersonator. Well Abby pointed out to him that I was new to the area and I had never heard him sing with the exception of a few bars that he sang to Abby last week. This being small town America Clint fired up the kareoke machine and proceeded to give an entire concert just for me. He only sang my requests. I haven't danced or laughed so much in years. Jim even sang a couple of songs (badly I might add but I'll never tell him). He and Abby got Shit faced, Fred actually stopped drinking around 10 and wanted to go home since he had a golf date the next morning. BUT Jim and Abby kept saying just one more until closing time. Me being the only one not imbibing got to drive home on those dark country roads with no street lights.

Saturday Jim and I kept a low profile just resting up because Jim being a member of the American Legion had a parade that evening. He looked so good in the AL uniform holding the American flag as they led the parade. I had taken over a spot close to where we parked and where the parade ended so I wouldn't get lost. But when the parade rounded the corner and the National Anthem started to play, everyone stood and started clapping. I can't lie it brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. There were troop after troop of the American Legion, and the VFW, vets from WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Then the ROTC Corp. The breeze was just enough to keep the flags dancing. The applause never wavered until that last troop was out of sight. What can I say I was brought up by a man that had been career military, I was taught patriotism and pride in my country. This display touched deep inside of me. On the ride home Jim and I held hands because this is yet another place our beliefs touch.

Sunday Jim's daughter and family came out to the treehouse and we grilled chicken breasts and made salads for a light dinner. When they left Jim and I walked over to Abby and Freds for another impromptu get together of the OFA group. Now everyone is harassing us wanting to know when we are going to make things more permanent. We tell them we are but not anytime soon.

I also want to ask all of you to send your good thoughts/vibes/prayers up for Abby's mom she is to have major surgery in the morning. S

7 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger sands of time said...

My good wishes and prayers to Abbys mom.
Sounds like you had a great weekend

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

What a fabulous weekend you all had. I've a 'thing' about military marches etc, they make me feel so weepy. On the day my brother graduated from the police academy I was bawling as soon as I hard the sound of the bagpipes...and that was before I even saw the cadets march out lol It's such an emotional time isn't it?

All the very best thoughts to Abby's mum. Hope all goes well.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger jac said...

Wonderful time you had. I wanted to see your eyes when you are with Jim. Can you tell me how it was ? I just am curious about anything from my childhood. No pun intended, schotzy !

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Schotzy said...

June and Lisa thank you for your prayers and best wishes for Abby's mom. and Jac my eyes are very sparkling when I look at Jim. S

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger jac said...

Schotzy
Don't you have any sense of humour ? Can't you have a joke with me ? I was joking with you. Won't you plz go to my comment column and see my replies. I didn't know you are so sensitive. Sorry for that remark I made. I couldn't find an email id in your page to send an apolagy. When you are in my blog, you are my guest. I never forget that.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Walker said...

Sounds like another great time for you :D. I bet your yeys sparkle so much when you look at each other everyone else needs sunglasses.
I know that feeling.
All the best to Abbys mom

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm late as usual, dammit.

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend...good for you! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home